Using the New Operating Modes in PIPE-FLO® Advantage and Professional 17
With the elimination of the Sizing Pump and Sizing Valve in PIPE-FLO Advantage and Professional in version 17, new Operating Modes have been added to the Centrifugal Pump and Control Valve devices, as well as the new Fan, Blower, and Compressor devices. These Operating Modes increase the flexibility for the user to model different process control operating scenarios found in commercial and industrial applications. When no device specific data is entered (control valve data, pump, fan, blower, or compressor curves), Operating Modes are considered Sizing modes to help size the equipment based on equipment design requirements.
In addition to new operating modes, the current pressure modes can now be specified as static pressure as well as total pressure. Some modes of operation are limited to devices with performance data entered (valve position, speed), and some results are not calculated unless the performance data is specified (valve factors, input power, efficiency, and speed).
If a pre-v17 PIPE-FLO file containing Sizing Pumps and Sizing Valves is opened in v17, they will automatically be converted into Centrifugal Pumps and Control Valves without data. Their operating modes will be retained, except for Sizing Valve in Fully Open operating mode will be set to Fixed dP mode with zero dP value.
Common Operating Modes for All Devices
- Flow Rate specifies the mass, volumetric, or standard flow rate through the device
- Discharge Pressure regulates downstream outlet pressure and can be specified as total or static pressure with gage or absolute as the reference
- Suction Pressure regulates upstream inlet pressure and can be specified as total or static pressure with gage or absolute as the reference
- Differential Pressure (new) regulates the pressure drop across the device and can be specified as total or static pressure
- Temperature Control is set by selecting the device as a Flow Control Device at a Heat Source Sink device or Heat Exchanger device. The device receives a mass flow rate setting from the heat transfer calculations.
Control Valve Operating Modes
- Fixed Flow Coefficient (new) specifies the Cv or Kv of the control valve. If the valve has data, this is similar to the Manual Position mode, but without valve data this allows the user to evaluate a valve with the specified Cv (or Kv) without the influence of other valve factors (Fp, FL, xT, Y)
- Manual Position can only be used with control valves with valve data specified.
Centrifugal Pump Operating Modes
- Fixed Speed can only be used if the Pump Curve is defined
Fan Operating Modes
- Fixed Speed can only be used if the Fan Curve is defined
Blower Operating Modes (PIPE-FLO Advantage only)
- Fixed Speed can only be used if the Blower Curve is defined
Compressor Operating Modes (PIPE-FLO Advantage only)
- Fixed Speed can only be used if the Compressor Curve is defined
- Fixed Pressure Ratio specifies the total pressure ratio across the compressor
Pressure Boundary Operating Modes
- Pressure values can be entered as total or static pressure with gage or absolute as the reference
Flow Demand Operating Modes
- Flow rate values can be entered as mass, volumetric, or standard flow rates