Using DataLink to pull data from PIPE-FLO® into Microsoft® Excel®
1. Open PIPE-FLO to a system where data would like to be pulled from. Then click the Send To DataLink Icon . This will allow PIPE-FLO to share data with Excel.
2. Open up an Excel worksheet.
In Microsoft Excel 2010:
From the Data ribbon, select the command From Other Sources. Then select the last item on the list entitled From Microsoft Query.
In Microsoft Excel 2016:
From the Data ribbon, select the command Get Data. Then from the list of options, select From Other Sources. Finally select the item on the list entitled From Microsoft Query to be taken to the query window.
3. Next, the Choose Data Source dialog box will appear. Select PIPE-FLO DataLink*. Then click OK.
4. A Query Wizard dialog box will prompt to select the desired data to be inserted into the query. Notice that there are two columns within this dialog box, which are separated by buttons. These buttons are used to control the selection or deselection of data that will go into the query. The left column are all available contents in the piping system that are available for insertion into the query. The right column is the data selected by the user to go into the query. Once the desired columns are selected click Next.
5. A Query Wizard dialog box will prompt to filter data; this allows for a more concise selection. Once filtering of the data is complete, click Next. (It might be easiest to simply import all the data into Excel and then modify it there.)
Note: If you use this filter, you will need to add values in the second fields and not use the drop down menu (see highlight below for an example). Once you have specified the filter criteria, click Next.
6. Next, a sort order dialog box will appear. This gives the option of sorting the data in a specific order. (Again, it might be easiest to import all the data and then modify it in Excel.) Once you have specified the sort order, click Next.
7. A dialog box will ask what to do next. Choose, Return Data to Microsoft Excel and then click Finish.
8. Finally, Excel will ask for the orientation in which the desired query is to be arranged. Choose the desired layout and location, then click OK.
Now there is a spreadsheet in Excel that consists of the selected data pulled from PIPE-FLO with the use of DataLink.
- In order to update the Excel spreadsheet of any changes made within the piping system, all that is needed is to click the Send to DataLink Icon in PIPE-FLO, then click the Refresh All button in Excel. (Solely, clicking the Refresh All button in Excel will not update the spreadsheet.)